UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

While I am in the world of old assets, here are some shots from the Cattle for Hawes session in the S and C Yorkshire Dales route:

JFxoQp4.jpg

The train in the landscape, en-route from Appleby to Kirkby Stephen, going about its business around 65 years ago.

TmfkzrC.jpg

Shunting at Kirkby Stephen on the S and C Up line.

pHN7QSF.jpg

Running around the train at Garsdale.

Since Terraced Houses are the current theme I have unfortunately the need for a lot of terraced housing on my Washington area at the moment. This site has been a big help http://www.raggyspelk.co.uk/washington_pages/selections8/wilden_terrace.html

Here is a Q6 passing the unnamed street at Washington on the Pontop line to Tyne Dock.

Q6 Washington Low Yard 17.5.24 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Middlefield Row was between the station and the river but is long since demolished.

Middlefield Row Washington 17.5.24 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Wilden Terrace with Penshaw Monument in the background. I think you'd pay a lot for such a view nowadays !

Wilden Terrace Washington 17.5.24 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
One could say that the un-named terrace is "No Place" but for the fact that the real "No Place" is up near Stanley!
"Where are you from?"
"Oh No Place actually."
"Charming! I was only trying to be polite."

In general, for the future, there is an authoritative site "virustotal.com" on which about a hundred engines of popular antiviruses are installed
and you can check any link or a dubious file with hundreds of antiviruses at once and see the result instantly.
I copied "paulztrainz.myenet.info" there and here is the result: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/a12db141c532502591313620bf453eb704d96359b376b7b96cb2322bc68bf5a6

I have just clicked on the Paulz Trainz link and, for the record, my Norton 360 remains quiet, and it is usually a manic thing with links.

Regarding my website, it very occasionally throws up a wobbly, with some over zealous web checking, bearing in mind the website is nearly 20 years old, with many hundreds of pages

The old and the new.
Paul Mace has built me the NER 52ft ordinary Van Composite to Diagram 75a, having van space, two First and Three Third Class compartments.
In the 1926 carriage roster two of the XBC (2-3) to Diagram 75 were allocated to Northallerton in North Yorkshire.
One was assigned to set No. 226 while the other went to Set No. 227.
These were the Northallerton and Hawes sets, where the XBC (2-3) was paired with an XB (5).
The codes mean 52ft bogie Van Composite witth 2 First Class, 3 Third Class compartments and 52ft bogie Van Third with 5 Third Class compartments.
The sets provided 12 First and 80 Third Class seats.

FrxQQl1.jpg

A N.E.R. TW Worsdell C Class 0-6-0 approaches the station at Hawes Junction (now known as Garsdale) with the first down branch passenger train.
The roster added three milk vans to take to Hawes Junction and they will return with the train on the 10.30 departure back to Northallerton.
I believe that this is bringing empty churns out to hawes Junction, as it did along the Wensleydale branch to Hawes.

fMirmtp.jpg

The train at the branch platform.

According to the 1923 timetable the 8.57 am arrival will connect in to a down Settle and Carlisle passenger train, which will depart Hawes Junction at 9.07 a.m. and reach Carlisle at 11.06 a.m.
I have found online a Midland WTT for Carlisle to Leeds and branches - The 9.07 from Hawes Junction started back at Hellifield at 8.07 a.m. and was a local stopping train, taking a minute short of three hours to cover Hellifield -
Any southbound passengers out of the N.E.R. train had to wait over an hour, until 10.04 a.m., when the morning Carlisle to Skipton stopping train came through. Starting at Carlisle at 8.0 a.m. the train reached Skipton at 11.31 a.m, with thirty-two stops en-route.

For anyone hankering after the golden age of train travel, in 1922 Hawes Junction had five weekday Midland passenger trains southbound to Hellifield, with one of those starting at Hawes rather than Carlisle.
Four northbound trains called at Hawes Junction, with one of those going on to Hawes, rather than going on to either Appleby or Carlisle.
The last southbound train of the day was a Carlisle to Leeds express (8.55 p.m. out of Carlisle and 11.50 p.m. in to Leeds), calling at Hawes Junction at 10.17 p.m. but there was no convenient connection either into it or out of it for any Hawes passengers as the last N.E.R. train in to Hawes Junction arrived at 9.11 p.m and the last N.E.R. eastbound departure of the day was much earlier, at 6.30 p.m.
The intrepid late evening traveller from Hawes or Leyburn to Hellifield, Skipton or Leeds had better hope that the fire was lit in the island platform's waiting room and that the pencil did not break while filling out the crossword.
I doubt that they would have much company in the waiting room for the 10.17 p.m. either, which brings me back to the worry about the waiting room fire, given the "thriftiness" of Yorkshire folk back in the day......
" A fire you say? A coal fire? That costs money you know and just for you and you not even a First Class passenger either! Folks today. In my grandfather's day there was not even a train service at all up here."

Looking at the Newcastle and Carlisle timetable, any passengers heading north from Carlisle will have long waits. A 12.51 p.m. train heads to Glasgow Central, arriving at 3.20 p.m.
The competing service on the Glasgow & South Western departs Carlisle at 1 pm and gets to St Enoch at 3.43 p.m. or, if bound for Ireland, Stranraer at 3.43 p.m.

Last edited:
The old and the new.
Paul Mace has built me the NER 52ft ordinary Van Composite to Diagram 75a, having van space, two First and Three Third Class compartments.
In the 1926 carriage roster two of the XBC (2-3) to Diagram 75 were allocated to Northallerton in North Yorkshire.
One was assigned to set No. 226 while the other went to Set No. 227.
These were the Northallerton and Hawes sets, where the XBC (2-3) was paired with an XB (5).
The codes mean 52ft bogie Van Composite witth 2 First Class, 3 Third Class compartments and 52ft bogie Van Third with 5 Third Class compartments.
The sets provided 12 First and 80 Third Class seats.

FrxQQl1.jpg

A N.E.R. TW Worsdell C Class 0-6-0 approaches the station at Garsdale with the first down branch passenger train.
The roster added three milk vans to take to Garsdale and they will return with the train on the 10.30 departure back to Northallerton.
I believe that this is bringing empty churns out to Garsdale, as it did along the Wensleydale branch to Hawes.

fMirmtp.jpg

The train at the branch platform.

According to the 1923 timetable the 8.57 am arrival will connect in to a down Settle and Carlisle passenger train, which will depart Garsdale at 9.07 a.m. and reach Carlisle at 11.06 a.m.
Looking at the Newcastle and Carlisle timetable, any passengers heading north from carlisle will have long waits. A 12.51 p.m. train heads to Glasgow Central, arriving at 3.20 p.m.
The competing service on the Glasgow & South Western departs Carlisle at 1 pm and gets to St Enoch at 3.43 p.m. or, if bound for Ireland, Stranraer at 3.43 p.m.
Is that the og 2006 braiths root ?

Apologies but I do not understand the phrase "og 2006 braiths root".
The route the train is running on is the Settle and Carlisle payware package available on the Auran Down Load Content (DLC) web page as "Trainz Route Settle and Carlisle".
It was updated to run in T:ANE if I recall correctly.

Hailing as I do from the far flung colonies I had to employ friend Wikipedia to discover what the Penshaw Monument was. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penshaw_Monument

There's a decent little video of it here https://www.itv.com/watch/news/the-mysterious-history-of-an-iconic-sunderland-landmark/80sqymh
I get a little choked up when I see it. Back in the day it was possible to see coal mine headstock and waste heaps for miles around, all gone now which I suppose is an improvement but still sad.

At Coxgreen Junction the NER kindly provided a rather spectacular signal gantry and here we see a Lambton Tank taking empties back to Penshaw Exchange Yard watched over by Penshaw Monument. One of the many issues I need to sort out is the semi transparent bushes beside the road - if anyone knows of a good replacement please let me know.. I think they are by JVC.

Lambton Tank at Coxgreen Junction 19.5.24 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

There's a decent little video of it here https://www.itv.com/watch/news/the-mysterious-history-of-an-iconic-sunderland-landmark/80sqymh
I get a little choked up when I see it. Back in the day it was possible to see coal mine headstock and waste heaps for miles around, all gone now which I suppose is an improvement but still sad.
Thanks for the thought, - unfortunately the video doesn't work for folk who live outside Britain :(
The Wikipedia article was reasonably comprehensive though and I was able to get a good understanding of the Penshaw Monument's history and significance for the region.

YIWEGdD.jpg

North East England during the steam era.
There is a bit of a story with this train, so I thought that I'd share my thoughts about it.
Bear with me.

In the long summer evening of June, the 8.40 p.m. from Hull Paragon heads west at speed towards Staddlethorpe station, which from 1974 became Gilberdyke. At the junction, it will take the line for Selby.
The train, which is in the hands of a Raven S2 Class 4-6-0, has six carriages and two vans.
From the loco there is a Midland Brake Van, a G.C.R. Corridor Brake Composite and two N.E.R. sets, Nos. 387 and 388.
Set No. 388, the "Hull and Pontefract" leads, with a 52ft Diagram four compartment Van Composite (2-2) and a 52ft Diagram three compartment Van Third.
Set No. 387, the "Hull and Leeds Mail" trails with a pair of 52ft Diagram 76 four compartment Van Thirds book-ending a 52ft seven compartment Lavatory Composite (4-3).
The Pontefract portion has the Midland Brake assigned to it (Mail set No. 201) and it will run through to St. Pancras, arriving 4.20 a.m.
A N.E.R. "XVV", a 52ft or longer van will travel north to Pontefract tonight in Mail set No. 202 and will return to Hull attached to set No. 388 on its return journey to Hull.
The Leeds portion has a "VV" assigned to it and a Diagram 21 6-W van is doing the duty.

There are several mysteries associated with this train.
First off, the G.C.R. BCK is not in the 1926 carriage roster and I only discovered the presence of a through carriage on this train when looking at the NERA copy of the L.N.E.R. 1923 passenger train timetable.
According to that, it left Hull at 8.40 p.m. and travelled via Pontefract and Oxford to Bristol Temple Meads, arriving there at 5.52 a.m.
However, in the 1926 roster there is no mention at all of an overnight through carriage between Hull and Bristol.
In the 1923 L.N.E.R. Timetable the through communication page has the 8.40 p.m. Hull departure noted as "Via Pontefract", so that fits the Set No, 388 roster with its 9.47 p.m. arrival at Pontefract, which must have been Baghill, since on Saturdays Only, the set would do a round trip between there and Moorthorpe during its layover (9.47 p.m. to 3.00 a.m.).
The through communication page column containing the 8.40 p.m. ex-Hull is the "York to Nottingham, Leicester and Bristol, Through carriages Aberdeen to Sheffield (Vic) and Hull to Bristol" with a York departure of 10.03 p.m.
In the 1926 Carriage Roster the 10.03 p.m. ex-York is either a G.C.R. 2-set or G.W.R. 2-set, though with several vehicles attached when departing York (WBCL Glasgow - Sheffield, XVV Glasgow to Westbury, G.W.R. XVV Newcastle to Calne and G.C.R. or G.W.R. XVV Newcastle to Yeovil).
Therefore, I have unilaterally assigned a G.C.R. Clerestory BCK by RobD to the train, since the L.N.E.R. 1926 Carriage Roster has no entry for it and I can only assume that either (a) It was discontinued between 1923 and 1926 or (b) it is an oversight of some kind, though I find that rather less likely than (a).

The next mysteries are just what ran as a mail van in the carriage roster.
Set No. 387 (Hull - Leeds Mail) in the roster is listed as having an XVV attached, which is a 52ft Dual braked van, but Mail Set No. 190 in the Mail workings section lists a "VV", which was a 6-wheeler.
Set No. 388 (Hull - Pontefract) in the roster is listed as having a VV attached, which is the 6-wheeler whereas Mail Sets 201 and 202 are "XVV" with one an L.N.E.R. dual-braked 52ft van and the other an L.M.S.R 52ft (or longer) dual braked van, working down from St Pancras one night and up to St Pancras the next night.
So, unless I have read the roster incorrectly, and sets 190 and 201 are in addition to the additions listed in the passenger part of the roster for set Nos. 387 and 388, then it appears there may be a typo in the roster.
Yes, I know, right after saying an omission in the roster is unlikely!

The train divided at Selby. The Pontefract portion departed at 9.23 p.m. some 6 minutes before the portion to Leeds.
My copy of the NERA document "N.E.R. Passenger Engine Workings July - September 1908" appears to have one working out of Hull at 8.40 p.m.
It is a turn for a Leeds engine, turn 2, which arrived in Leeds New at 10.13 p.m.
However, the 8.40 p.m. in the 1910 Bradshaw's is preceded by an 8.30 p.m. passenger train to Normanton.
In 1908 that is a turn for a York engine, turn 7, which would return to York with an 11.00 p.m. departure from Normanton.
It would seem that between 1908/1910 and 1923 there was an efficiency driven change, combining the previous 8.30 p.m. and 8.40 p.m. out of Hull in the one, 8.40 p.m. working, dividing at Selby, and with a portion for Pontefract Baghill rather than a destination at Normanton.
Neither train in the 1910 Bradshaw's has any mention of a through carriage from Hull to Bristol via Oxford, with the 1910 Bradshaw's showing the connection in to the York - Leicester through train departing at 7.30 p.m.

Bradshaw's for 1922 has an overnight through express from York to Bristol with a connection from Hull at 8.40 p.m. noted as via Selby and Pontefract, but no explicit mention of a through carriage.
There is also no mention of changing at Pontefract in order to catch the York to Bristol express at Sheffield Victoria and neither Table 576 ot 750 shows a train at Pontefract around 9.47 p.m. from Hull or going on to Sheffield.
So, I am still rather undecided on the through carriage.
Perhaps it was introduced in summer 1923 but soon proved to lack the demand to justify running it.

As for the unique Diagram 89 BC (2-2).
A long while past, I had Paul Mace build me several examples of the NER Worsdell 52ft bogie clerestory roof Van Composite with four compartments, two First and two Third Class, providing 12 First and 20 Third seats.
Several years elapsed until I bought the NERA's book of the 1906 Carriage Register and discovered that I had the number(s) wrong (Not shown on the NER drawing) and the number wrong.
The latter "number wrong" being that the NER only ever built one of them, No. 3270, built in December 1903.
Still, we live and learn, with research being a process that can validate, and invalidate, decisions.

I worked through the 1926 Carriage Roster and found it, on the Hull and Pontefract Set, No. 388, where it was paired with a 52ft Van Third with three compartments, which means Diagrams 18 and 130.
This made one return journey a day, overnight, departing Hull at 8.40 p.m. for the N.E.R. station at Pontefract Baghill, arriving at 9.47 p.m. and waiting there (S.X.) until 3.00 a.m. for the return to Hull.
On Saturdays. it would fit in a late train to Moorthorpe, depart Pontefract Baghill at 10.22 p.m.

Last edited:
Heya Everyone, i am sorry i am aware this isn't strictly on topic but seeing as this is where most of the UK Trainz community are it would be the best place put this. Basically my buffer assets needed some changes to function correctly as buffers in the way Trainz had intended and one of the fixes i had to make envolved rotating the buffer mesh so it faces the correct way. This does mean it will be the wrong way round after the update and route creators will have to rotate them. I am aware how much of a pain this is and i hope to make this up with a DLS upload of UK Scenery later this week. My sincerest apologies about this, I'll attach below some images of some of the content i will be releasing this weekend.

Barney
image.png
I only had a few small routes with them so it wasn't too much of a bother to rotate all of them and since I was feeling inspired I took a screenshot of them and the Standard 4MT tank.
file:///C:/Users/andre/OneDrive/Imagens/Standard%204.png

Your picture doesn't look to be uploaded properly @Alfredthelner as I can't see it. Try using Imgur or a similar service and see if that does the track.

However as to switching the buffers - I agree, my experience was the same. I do use quite a large number of them on my route(s) but even so within 20 minutes I had rotated the buffers and everything was back to normal, so no issues there.

Cheers,

PLP

Back