Is TANE a worthwhile buy?

Pullman101

Hi! I have recently gotten a high-end PC in which can handle TANE, but I am worried about the mixed opinions about it. Help is appreciated :)

Well in all honesty, yes!

It would help to post your machine specs anyway, like CPU, RAM, and Video card.

But compared to the other versions of Trainz, T:ANE SP2 (soon to be HF1) is quite nice. There are the usual Trainz anomalies but it's still great to use. I've been in Surveyor 8-10 hours or longer per day without issues, and similarly with Driver. Content Manager is different now, but it opens the way for all kinds of new ways of doing stuff like having multiple windows and the ability to filter better and manipulate pick-lists there and have them appear in Surveyor, etc.

There are some subtle changes in Surveyor, such as improvements in the replace assets tool, and the ability to change track quality and super-elevation parameters.

Increased draw distance in both Surveyor and Drive, and so many other things.

I guess "mixed opinions" is correct. :hehe:

The alternative is to have both, as many of us do, and make up your own mind. Or you can wait for TRS18.

I would say yes but how it performs would be dependant of PC specs, in particular the GPU, which does get used to it's full capacity.

Considering some of the recent "fire sales" in the Trainz store, how can you go wrong? If anything, I wish I had gotten such a good deal. On the other hand, my paying full price has made it possible for N3V to offer these great deals to you!

Personally, I would buy T:ANE if they were not coming out with Trainz: Next. However, since they are, I am going to wait for that to come out and stop using TS12. Trainz: Next looks super amazing and it will definitely beat Trainz: A New Era by a long shot! Also, I think with the progress they are making on TRS2018, I think it will be out by next year.

Personally, I would buy T:ANE if they were not coming out with Trainz: Next. However, since they are, I am going to wait for that to come out...
Good idea in theory, but if T:NEXT ends up anything like T:ANE did, it will be another year before it actually approximates what it was initially promised to do!

Hi! I have recently gotten a high-end PC in which can handle TANE, but I am worried about the mixed opinions about it. Help is appreciated :)

If you have a V8 under the bonnet of your high end PC, I'd say, go for Tane SP2 now. What have you got to loose? Whilst it's still not perfect, most of the bugs have been sorted out. SP2 HF1 is just around the corner.

There's no confirmed date as to when TRS18 might be launched. To the best of my knowledge, it's not even in the beta phase as yet, so might be quite a while...

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
You can always wait for the next version but at what cost? You'd be missing all the fun that is available right now. Of course if you want perfection, wait for tomorrow. Depending on how you define "high end PC" your experience might be different.

I have purchased TANE through steam, and it is an amazing game. The graphics are nice and there is a good amount of content on the download station and as freeware. Details on the routes are very nice, too!

I would second the above if you're unsure - buy through Steam then you get up to two hours to refund if it doesn't meet your expectations. Also highly likely Steam will have a sale around the North American Thanksgiving then again over the Xmas Holiday period. That's usually a good opportunity to get 30 - 50% off, depending what discount Valve agree with the publisher.

If you have a decent spec machine, as you say you do (a good GPU is the clincher), and are at all into Trains, then go for it! The product cost is a small fraction of what you have likely to have spent on hardware.

After TRS2006 I was a bit disillusioned by a few of the following releases (although I purchased them to have a look, as you can see by my profile). TANE is the Trainz release that has got me back into Trainz. Of course, you could always hold out for the next release in the hope it will be even better. But then you would miss out on a lot of good Trainzing.

Warning: Trainz is addictive, but there is also a bit of a learning curve. Hang in through that initial learning and you will be totally hooked!

Phil.

Edit: Ha. Just noticed, you have already registered it. I guess you must have just purchased. it. Have fun !

Last edited:
OK, I should weigh in on this. My old Mac barely had enough to run TS2 and I dropped out for a while, staying in touch only through the Friday Auran emails. I came into a good CPU and graphics machine, loaded up the copy of TANE I had purchased pre- release, fired up the Hinton Empties run, and was blown away! It looks great and I am looking forward to driving more sessions. It’s good to be back ....

I'm gonna weigh in on this too, as I've been using TANE on a mid-end laptop. Despite some lagging frames (graphics card needs upgraded, but i'm gonna buy a new pc after i checked what might be needed to upgrade this one) TANE runs pretty solid for me. The biggest difference for me between TANE and Trainz 12 is losing the CMP and its menu style, which i did prefer over the new style. But in all honesty, if you have a good solid pc with graphics that can handle TANE, go for it. Most of the bugs have been sorted out, and the surveyor options have been tweaked and new ones added. Especially the shadows and lighting, which is good if you like creating screenshots like a fe people around here do. It was a worthwhile upgrade for me, though i bought direct from Auran and not through a digital download, nor from Steam. I've got other games that i use Steam for, and i would rather keep it that way.

Back