CSX Blue Ridge Subdivison... Round 2

NCkilla333

Black and Blue
As anyone who has read any of my other posts, about 2 years ago I started work on the CSX Blue Ridge Subdivision. After a few months of progress, my hard drive crashed, I had no back-ups, and I lost everything. This summer I plan to put my Murphy Branch route on hold to start over on the Blue Ridge Sub. I have backups now, local and remote, and I intend to do something that fellow trainzer and master of U.S. routes Dermmy does, and that is segment the project. I hope to divide the project into four parts. Take a look at the ATCS screen cap below.

The first part of the route will be the trackage between milepost Z179.6, the defect detector at Penland, N.C. and milepost Z210.2, south end Sevier Siding.
Part two will expand north from mp Z179.6 to the north end of Erwin yard and Rock Creek Juct.
Part three will migrate south from Z210.2 to south Bostic Yard and the junction with the exSCL line to CSX Hamlet yard.
Part four will wrap up the Blue Ridge Subdivision from Bostic to Spartanburg, S.C. and will hopefully include the 15 or so mile Duke Branch to the Duke Energy steam station. If it doesn't make it out the branch, consider it part 5.

As of now, the DEM and initial track laying is done for part 1. I will spend the next few weeks adjusting the grades and making a suitable track grade. Then tile removal, treez, and finally the details. I chose this part to do first because it;s the closest to home and to most scenic to view.

Alright so I went ahead and detailed a small area of the map so that I could get some input about the look and feel of the map.

Please guys, reply, I would really like some feedback on the trees, the grass, the track, and anything else you want to pick on. The next few days should just be track adjustment, so there wont be many pics.

I'd like to provide constructive criticism, but so far I can't find anything to criticise! Well done!

Criticism is wonderful... in just the right dose.

I'd like to provide constructive criticism, but so far I can't find anything to criticise! Well done!

I find this somewhat surprising, coming from you. I see your constructive criticism a lot around here. Keep looking, I'm sure you'll find something wrong. :hehe:

Chew on this for a while...

And to everyone, check out the Weebly site I put up. It contains all the shots seen here, maybe more, as well as real photos from around the area. The site will be the final location for downloading when I am done.

http://wcurailfan.weebly.com/

Vance Tunnel

Vance Tunnel is the second tunnel on the Blue Ridge Subdivision and the first of 18 along the 20-or-so mile long Clinchfield Loops. It is a little over 500ft long and is located right in the middle of the small community of Altapass, NC at the south end of Toe River Siding.

Overview

South Portal

North Portal

http://wcurailfan.weebly.com/

Blue Ridge Tunnel - North Portal

Blue Ridge Tunnel is the second tunnel on the loops and at 1865 feet, it is the second longest. It is located just outside of Altapass, NC and just south of the crossing at Holman Hill RD.

Waiting at Holman Hill for the all clear before heading onto Toe River Siding.

Now you see it...now you don't!:D

"C'mon throw me bone here, a little something I can complain about!"

Still looking good!

Loops

I've spent the last forever it feels like working track on the loops. I'm about half way done. It's all grid so no pics to show, but I do have a screen from Google Earth. This shot shows the loops, with the 18 tunnels marked. It gets a little confusing right around the Pine Ridge tunnels though, Upper Pine Ridge is on the upper (leftmost) section of track as the name implies while Lower Pine Ridge and Byrd are on the right lower (rightmost) section of track. As of now I have completed track work through Byrd. It's hard to see but past Huneycutt, the track goes Northeast before crossing US 221 and turning 180 degrees Southwest and heading in to North Cove.

And I lied... I do have one pic, couldn't resist. This shows the loops as they were a while back. The three levels of track visible are the tracks containing Upper Pine Ridge through Second Washburn, Snipe's through Byrd, and First and second Rocky. The shot is "taken" from the Blue Ridge Parkway, tracks are emerging from Blue Ridge Tunnel, the gravel road in front is Orchard road which goes to The Apple Orchard (oh really?) and the gravel road in the center of the shot is Pepper's Creek RD which winds its way all the way to North Cove. You'll see more of Pepper's Creek soon. I hope this shot is still possible once the trees are planted. Euphod may consider the emptiness the flaw hes been looking for.

Last edited:

Looking north from just north of the north portal of North Rock Tunnel. Actually, it's First Rocky Tunnel, but I thought that sentence could use another north.
Camp Two and the signal at MP194.6.

The crossing at Pepper's Creek Rd can be a little unexpected if you've never been down the three miles or so gravel road from Altapass.

Hi all from New Zealand All I can say is that it all looks so crisp and clean
Well this be paywere and if so put me down for a copy
it is outstanding
chris

Payware? I doubt it. As long as I can find somewhere free to host it it shouldn't be. If I get greedy :hehe: I might put a few bucks on it nothing big, but I seriously doubt it.

Back